A wonderful comfort food with a pleasing blend of flavors. This dish is great for brunch or as a side dish for a cold winter’s dinner or as a main dish for a light dinner (it's a very versatile dish!) The flavors need to meld in a Strata – so make this the night before for a brunch dish or the morning before if you are serving it for dinner (you could even prepare it the night before for the next evening’s dinner). The preparation time does not include the refrigeration time.
- Start preparation either the night or morning before (depending upon when you are serving, see note above in description).
- Spray a 9 x 13 rectangular glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place 7 ounces of freshly washed baby spinach in a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook for 5 minutes on high until wilted. Drain in colander in your sink and let cool. Then coarsely chop.
- Drain jar of artichoke hearts but do not rinse. Chop into small pieces.
- Mix the milk and wine in a shallow bowl. Tear the bread into medium pieces (a bit bigger than bite sized) and dip a few pieces at a time into the milk mixture. Gently squeeze as much liquid as possible from the bread without tearing it. Do not let the bread soak; dip and squeeze as quickly as possible or the bread will disintegrate! Spread the prepared bread in the 9 x 13 pan. Continue dip, squeeze and spread until all the bread is distributed nicely around the pan. Reserve any leftover milk mixture.
- Sprinkle the prepared spinach and artichokes on the bread – distributing evenly. Push the vegetables into the bread mixture.
- Beat 6 large eggs and mix with remaining milk & wine mixture. Add oregano and beat well. Pour over the bread & vegetable mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle the Asiago cheese on top of the strata.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate (overnight or until evening, depending upon when you are serving).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake uncovered until puffy and browned, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve immediately.