Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a great starter for an elegant meal.
- 6 -8 artichokes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 potato
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- water (to cover)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil, add chopped onion and chopped celery and dash of salt. Allow to caramelize.
- Quarter artichokes, removing chokes, add to pot. Add diced potato and bay leaves.
- Add water to cover.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- In batches, puree in blender or food processor. Strain through fine meshed sieve or chinois to remove fibers.
- Return to pot. Add cream, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in heated soup plates with chopped nuts sprinkled over as garnish.