Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A vegetarian favorite. Use as a side or as the entrée. Vegan approved,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine (use vegan for v)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked carnaroli rice
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (you can also use skim milk)
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (8 ounce) container firm tofu, cubed
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jarmarinate artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) canlow salt corn
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and margarine. Stir in 1/2 the onion, and sauté until tender. Stir in the rice, and cook until lightly browned.
- Pour soy milk (skim milk, if using) and apple juice into the rice. When the rice has absorbed the liquids, gradually pour in vegetable stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, until absorbed. Reserve about 1/4 cup stock. Cover, and cook about 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, lightly brown the tofu and remaining onion in the reserved marinated artichoke heart liquid. Stir in the garlic.
- Remove the rice from heat, and thoroughly mix remaining vegetable stock, tofu mixture, artichoke hearts, corn, and cayenne paper into the rice.
- Makes 8 servings.