Recipe by lauralie41
A vegetarian and vegan favorite that can be served as a side dish or entree. Another great recipe adapted from a weight loss tracking website. NOTE: Carnaroli rice is a popular Italian rice used specifically for risotto's. Coming from the Arborio rice family the grain is larger and can absorb more liquid than other rices. You can find this rice in Italian markets or specialty foods in your local grocery stores.
Top Review by lunabelle
This is a fantastic recipe! I made a few changes... I didn't have apple juice so I used pineapple juice, also I omitted the corn and put in a few spoonfuls of sun-dried tomatoes and I used arborio rice (the liquid volumes in the recipe were perfect). WOW restaurant quality for sure. I will be making this for years to come. It was sooooo good. I served this as an entree. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups carnaroli rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (or skim milk)
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (8 ounce) container firm tofu, cubed
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) canwhole low-sodium kernel corn
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and margarine. Saute 1/2 of the onion until tender. Add rice and cook until lightly browned, stirring to prevent rice from burning.
- When rice is browned, pour in soy milk and apple juice. When the liquid is absorbed gradually pour in vegetable stock, about 1/2 cup at a time until this is absorbed, reserving about 1/4 cup of stock. Cover saucepan and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the marinated artichoke heart liquid that was reserved and lightly brown the remaining onion and tofu. Stir in garlic.
- Remove rice from heat, add the set aside 1/4 cup of vegetable stock, tofu mixture, artichoke hearts, corn, and cayenne pepper. Mix together well and heat thru. Serve immediately.