Recipe by Julesong
This recipe came about completely by accident when I once used twice the amount of jarred artichoke liquid necessary when making a Sit Sandwich (Mom's Sit Sandwich (Aka Squishy Sorta Muffuletta) – delicious!). My husband was delighted, however, and happily used the leftover as a salad dressing until it was gone… which was all too quickly, in his opinion. :) He’s also used it as a sandwich spread, and it makes a great dip for steamed artichoke leaves. Putting this recipe together is pretty quick, if you do it at the same time or after you’re making a Sit Sandwich.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar or 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced ripe black olives, drained (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup minced purple onion
- 3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (the kind stored in oil is preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted red and yellow bell peppers
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the jar of marinated artichokes, reserving the juice. Chop the hearts into smallish bits (about the size you’d expect in a salad dressing).
- In a large bowl, mix together the minced/chopped artichoke and the reserved juice with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Store in a recycled mayonnaise jar in the refrigerator.