1/1 Photo of Artichoke Pesto Flounder With Asiago Crust
tara portee's Note:
This was created for RSC #11. I combined two favorite ways that I like to prepare fish. One with a cheese crust and one coated with pesto. The combination seems like a natural. The egg wash might seem like an unnecessary step, but after experimentation, I found that the cheese had more even coverage when you use it. You could use another flaky white fish if you prefer. If you have any pesto left over, you could put a dollop on top of the fish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs flounder fillets
- 1 cup finely shredded asiago cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the pesto
- 1To make the pesto, put the artichokes, tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic, basil, and salt in a food processor. Puree the ingredients while slowly adding the olive oil. Reserve the pesto in a container, refrigerate if not using right away.
- 2Combine both cheeses with the tablespoon of flour and shake up well in a zip top bag.
- 3Put half of the cheese mixture in a pie plate. Add the other half when you have used up the first half (I found that this keeps the cheese from getting gummed up).
- 4Lightly beat the egg whites and pour into a pie plate.
- 5Heat two tablespoons of oil in a 12-inch non stick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering.
- 6Pat the flounder fillets dry. Slather both sides of the fish with the pesto.</>.
- 7Brush egg whites over pesto slathered fish.
- 8Dip both sides of the fish in the cheese mixture.
- 9Place three fillets in skillet and cook for about four minutes.
- 10Use a thin nonstick spatula the gently separate any cheesy edges that have melted together.
- 11Carefully turn the fillets to the other side and cook for approx another 4 minutes (if your skillet is running very hot you might only need to cook for three minutes.) The cheese should be golden brown.
- 12For the second batch, wipe the pan out, add another two tablespoons of oil and cook as before.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke Pesto Flounder With Asiago Crust
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.3
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 762.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 46.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: