From Vegetarian 100 Everyday Recipes cookbook, this is a great paella!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
- 15 ounces canned chick-peas, drained
- 15 ounces canned artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups medium grain rice
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock, simmering
- 5 1/2 ounces green beans, blanched
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- 1Put the saffron threads and water in a small bowl and let infuse for a few minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onion and zucchini over medium heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, and saffron and it's soaking liquid and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tomato wedges, chickpeas, and artichokes and cook, stirring, for an additional 2 minutes.
- 3Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until the rice is glossy and coated. Pour in most of the hot stock and bring to a boil, then let simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Do not stir during cooking, but shake the pan once or twice. Add the green beans and season. Shake the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the rice grains are cooked. If the liquid is absorbed too quickly, pour in a little more hot stock, then shake the pan to spread the liquid through the paella.
- 4When all the liquid has been absorbed and you detect a faint toasty aroma coming form the rice, remove from the heat immediately to prevent burning. Cover the pan with a clean dish towel or foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve direct from the pan with the lemon wedges to squeeze over the rice.
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke Paella
Serving Size: 1 (2050 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 426.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: