Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a dish I used to make a lot as a newly wed (the first time!) I have served it as an appetizer or side dish and once as a main dish. It's a nice addition to a brunch as well.
- 2 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie shells
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove pie shells from freezer; turn 1 shell out of foil pan onto waxed paper and let thaw for 10 minutes; press gently to flatten.
- In a medium skillet, cook garlic in hot oil, stir in artichokes and mushrooms; spoon mixture into bottom of the pie shell still in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, cheeses, olives and pepper; pour over vegetables.
- Place flattened shell on top, turn under and crimp edges; cut slits in the top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes; let cool 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Yummy!!! big hit! HUGE hit!!! Made this pie (or should I say pies - explain in a second) for a baby shower and I got many great reviews and requests for recipe. I added turkey meat (about a pound) and I think this increased the recipe in a way that I ended up with too much filling, so instead of baking one pie I filled two and added a little more cheese on top of it. I was planning on not adding the top pie, so I already had two ready to go pie shells. PERFECT! the girls LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much! I honestly was not expecting it to be such a hit. - the little leftover will be lunch tomorrow! :)
This was really good-- it just felt like something was missing. At first I thought it was salt(I didn't add any due to the salt in the canned vegetables), but that wasn't it. Also, it had just a little too much crust action going on. Maybe if it had been a regular instead of a deep dish crust on TOP, then it would have been perfect. Nonetheless, I plan to make this again. We had it for dinner Saturday night and it was just as good for lunch on Sunday. Thanks for the posting!!