Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted for ZWT6. Variations are listed at the end of the directions.
Make and share this Artichoke Khoresh (Persian) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken legs, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lb fresh artichoke heart
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- Heat a non-stick saute pan and lightly brown chicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and the onion. Fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Dissolve saffron in 2 tbsp hot water.
- Add salt, pepper, saffron water, and turmeric to the chicken mixture.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a non-stick skillet, fry the parsley and mint in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 10 minutes and add to the chicken.
- Add lime juice and the artichoke hearts to the chicken.
- Cover and simmer for 40 to 55 minutes over low heat.
- Check to see if the artichoke hearts are tender. Taste the khoresh.
- and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot over basmati rice.
- VARIATIONS: For *ab ghureh* substitute 3/4 cup unripe grape juice for the lime juice.
- Frozen (2 9-oz pkgs) or bottled artichokes may be substituted. If using these, drain well. If pre-cooked, adjust cooking time, adding artichoke hearts when appropriate.
- Chicken can be replaced with 1 pound lean stew meat such as lamb, veal or beef, cut into 1 inch cubes. If using this substitution, you may need to increase water amounts, so keep an eye on water levels.