2 hrs 15 mins
The Wallaces's Note:
Posted for ZWT6. Variations are listed at the end of the directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken legs, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lb fresh artichoke heart
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1Heat a non-stick saute pan and lightly brown chicken.
- 2Add 1 tablespoon oil and the onion. Fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- 3Dissolve saffron in 2 tbsp hot water.
- 4Add salt, pepper, saffron water, and turmeric to the chicken mixture.
- 5Pour in 1 1/2 cups water.
- 6Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7In a non-stick skillet, fry the parsley and mint in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 10 minutes and add to the chicken.
- 8Add lime juice and the artichoke hearts to the chicken.
- 9Cover and simmer for 40 to 55 minutes over low heat.
- 10Check to see if the artichoke hearts are tender. Taste the khoresh.
- 11and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 12Serve hot over basmati rice.
- 13VARIATIONS: For *ab ghureh* substitute 3/4 cup unripe grape juice for the lime juice.
- 14Frozen (2 9-oz pkgs) or bottled artichokes may be substituted. If using these, drain well. If pre-cooked, adjust cooking time, adding artichoke hearts when appropriate.
- 15Chicken can be replaced with 1 pound lean stew meat such as lamb, veal or beef, cut into 1 inch cubes. If using this substitution, you may need to increase water amounts, so keep an eye on water levels.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke Khoresh (Persian)
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.8
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 757.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g