Recipe by COOKGIRl
Another winner from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. I have to tell you that I shamelessly cheat with this recipe and use frozen artichoke hearts from Trader Joe's-saves a significant amount of time. Use fresh artichokes if you wish.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
I made this lovely dish and served with pasta. It was light and refreshing -- a perfect summer pasta dish. And it really can't be any easier. The next day I mixed the leftovers with some vegan soy yogurt and it also was delish!
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted (can also use canned artichoke hearts that are not marinated)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces brown button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh green peas (thawed if frozen) or 1 cup frozen green pea (thawed if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the artichoke hearts in a non-reactive bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of the fresh lemon juice over them and stir carefully. Set aside.
- In a medium non-stick, non-reactive skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring constantly just until they release their juices, about 2 minutes. The mushrooms should not be slimey!
- Add the green peas, broth, and the remaining lemon juice. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the green peas are just tender (10-15 minutes for fresh peas and 3-5 minutes for frozen peas.).
- Uncover pot and add the artichoke hearts including the lemon juice in which the hearts were marinating. With pan still uncovered, over low heat, stirring gently, cook until heated through.
- Serve with pasta and a loaf of artisan bread to soak up the delicious sauce.