Another winner from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. I have to tell you that I shamelessly cheat with this recipe and use frozen artichoke hearts from Trader Joe's-saves a significant amount of time. Use fresh artichokes if you wish.
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted (can also use canned artichoke hearts that are not marinated)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces brown button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh green peas (thawed if frozen) or 1 cup frozen green pea (thawed if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place the artichoke hearts in a non-reactive bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of the fresh lemon juice over them and stir carefully. Set aside.
- In a medium non-stick, non-reactive skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring constantly just until they release their juices, about 2 minutes. The mushrooms should not be slimey!
- Add the green peas, broth, and the remaining lemon juice. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the green peas are just tender (10-15 minutes for fresh peas and 3-5 minutes for frozen peas.).
- Uncover pot and add the artichoke hearts including the lemon juice in which the hearts were marinating. With pan still uncovered, over low heat, stirring gently, cook until heated through.
- Serve with pasta and a loaf of artisan bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
I made this lovely dish and served with pasta. It was light and refreshing -- a perfect summer pasta dish. And it really can't be any easier. The next day I mixed the leftovers with some vegan soy yogurt and it also was delish!
We loved this combo of veggies, and the simple sauce that went along with it, subtle but enough flavor. I added 1/2 tsp of pepper to it. Thanks for an easy flavorful veggie side that I will enjoy again!
Fresh, delicious and easy to make!!! I love the lemon sauce that this creates, simple and flavorful. These veggies are great together!! I used 2 cans of artichoke hearts and 8 ounces crimini plus a few shiitake thrown in there. I layered the salt and pepper with each addition and it didn't need any thing else, really tasty!! I will definitely make this one again, thanks Cookgirl!!