Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love artichokes!! I love this with a grilled steak. Cook and prep times are approximate.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut artichoke hearts into thin slices.
- Saute artichokes and garlic in butter until tender.
- Remove artichoke hearts to a shallow baking dish.
- Stir seasonings and flour into remaining butter.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly add liquid to egg and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over artichoke hearts and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, crumbs and paprika.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
I love artichokes and enjoyed this recipe. The only cheese I had was cheddar so used that....also halved the recipe. The only reason I give it only 4*s is the work involved de-lumping the sauce and the messy cleanup. I had to zap it in my mini processor after first trying to whisk it while cooking. There wasn't a speck of butter left in the pan when I removed the artichokes, so the flour went into a virtually dry pan. I thought of adding more, but figured there was already enough butter in the artichokes, so didn't. Maybe that was the problem. Next time I make it I may add only half the butter to saute the 'chokes and add the rest just before adding the flour. I WILL make this 'til I get it right!
This was delicious. I loved the flavor of the swiss cheese with the artichokes. I did add a bit more garlic, though.....just habit, I guess;) Thanx for sharing this recipe! UPDATE: I've made this a few times since my first review in July 05. I've been sauteeing some chopped onions w/ the artichokes. Fantastic! I'll keep making this one!
This is a fabulous dish. I had some trouble with the flour lumping, but other than things went marvelously. I added the seasonings with the artichokes. Next time I'm going to double the recipe. Thanks for posting this!