Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
"For me, anything prepared Francese style - that is, made with lemon, wine, butter and capers - is a rich and wonderful treat. You can serve these delicious artichoke hearts as a side dish or over toasted slices of Italian bread, crostini, for a terrific appetizer. Be sure to spoon the luscious juices over the artichoke hearts as you serve them." - Chef Claire Criscuolo at her restaurant Claire's Corner Copia.
- 14 ounces can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup limoncello
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Cut the artichoke hearts into quarters.
- Measure the flour into a shallow bowl and season it with salt and pepper.
- In a deep bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Set a plate by the bowl of flour.
- Dredge the artichoke hearts in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess, then arrange them on the plate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Working quickly, dip a few artichoke hearts at a time into the beaten eggs, then arrange them, single layer, in the heated oil.
- Continue with the remaining artichoke hearts.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Using tongs, turn each artichoke heart and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour the Limoncello and wine evenly over the artichoke hearts, then scatter the capers on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 1 minute, carefully rotating the skillet to move the liquid.
- Add the pieces of butter, scattering evenly over the top of the artichoke hearts.
- Carefully move the skillet in a circular motion as the butter melts.
- Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Place the artichoke hearts in a serving bowl and pour the sauce over, using a rubber spatula to scrape the juices from the skillet.
- Scatter the parsley on top.
- Serve immediately.