Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the "Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves
- 14 ounces artichokes, drained
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 cups peas, fresh, frozen, canned
- 8 cups garlic stock or 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (1/2 teasp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or romano cheese (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Warm the oil in a large nonreactive soup pot and saute' onions and garlic on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the celery to make about 1 cup and cut the artichoke hearts into eighths. When the onions are golden brown, add the artichoke hearts and celery and cook for 5 min., stirring.
- Stir in the tomatoes and peas and gently simmer for about 5 more minutes. Add the stock, lemon juice, basil, salt, and pepper, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Top with cheese and parsley.