Recipe by Veggie Girl Kacey
A dish my husband made for me and I never get sick of it! Can easily be turned into a vegetarian dish by omitting the chicken. However, if you decide not to include the chicken I would reduce the cooking time. I just go by the tomatoes appearance (withered). EDIT: If you are using jarred marinated artichokes, do not add anymore oil. It seems to be too oily that way. I also add sliced mushrooms to this dish for the vegetarian version.
Top Review by The Friendly Cook
So much flavour!!! I placed maybe a teaspoon of olive oil into my roasting pan because my jar of artichokes were heavily marinated (especially in oil!). I did not really measure out my ingredients as this looks like a recipe that you can alter to your liking. I threw in a ton of artichokes because I love them. Will make again!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil (see note below)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 cups rice
- 2 -4 cups artichoke hearts (The marinated ones found in jars are the ones we use! Adding some of the juice helps to add flavour )
- 1 (125 ml) jar capers
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons margarine, 1/2 teaspoon margerine per chicken
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- *The jars of artichokes we buy are quite oily so I omit all the oil and just add some of the liquid from the artichokes.
- **1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar per chicken. If you are making this vegetarian, just estimate how many chickens you would have put in the dish. I love the stuff so I heap it inches Same goes if you omit a piece of chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a flat pan (I use a roasting pan) pour in olive oil to coat.
- Layer the following: chicken, cherry/grape tomatoes, artichokes, and capers.
- Add margerine and balsamic vinegar on pieces of chicken (or right onto the other ingredients, whichever you prefer).
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and oregano over entire dish.
- Gently mix the ingredients until everything is combined (leaving the chickens in place).
- Put in the oven with no lid and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour (making sure the chicken is cooked through).
- In remaining 20 minutes begin to cook rice.
- Serve over rice (or pasta, I find it great too!) and enjoy.