Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb artichoke
- 1 cup milk
- butter (for pan)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub artichokes, and slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Bring milk and 1 cup water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add slices, and cook until tender but crisp, 8 minutes.
- Drain, and arrange in a buttered baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper to a boil.
- Remove garlic, and pour mixture evenly over artichokes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in upper level of oven until bubbling and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
I quartered my artichokes. Not anything wrong with this recipe, but I felt fresh artichokes were a lot of work for the final results.