Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a savory muffin that is really tasty. It can be vegetarian or not by using or skipping the bacon.
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup water, about
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (a little more if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup grated hard cheese (your favorite)
- 1 cup artichoke heart, cut into quarters
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Heat oven to 390°F.
- Grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan.
- Fry the breadcrumbs and garlic in the butter until just crisp.
- Break the egg into a measuring cup and beat it lightly with a fork.
- Add enough of the water to make a full 1 cup.
- Mix the egg and water with the flour, salt, baking powder that have been mixed in another bowl.
- Before stirring also add the cheese, artichoke and bacon (if using).
- Stir together gently until just moistened.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan and top with the saved crumbs.
- Bake for 10 - 15 mins or until a tester comes out clean.
I love all the ingredients in this recipe but it needs more "ummph." This is a moist muffin b/c of the artichokes. I would reocmmend adding garlic in the batter, squeezing as much liquid out of the artichokes. I would also reduce the amount of the artichokes. I think the bacon is a nice added touch but would be cautiuos if you want to add more. I love bacon but I think too much bacon will take away from the muffin. Next time I will try a different cheddar cheese. My cheese was mild. I will definitely make again but with these changes. Photo Tag May 2010