Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Reprinted from Cooking for Two or More by the Pampered Chef Test Kitchens. "The marinated artichokes in this classic Italian egg dish lend it a delicious, tart flavor."
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- roasted red pepper sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Place cream cheese, garlic and black pepper in small batter bowl; whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Stir in artichokes and 1 tablespoon of the basil.
- Heat (8-inch) sauté pan over medium heat until hot. Lightly spray with vegetable oil. Add egg mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place pan in oven; bake 12-14 minutes until egg mixture is set in center. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Using small nylon turner, cut frittata into wedges. Serve with roasted red pepper sauce, if desired.
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in (1.5-qt) saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons chopped onion; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Add 1 large roasted red bell pepper, chopped, 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons water. Transfer mixture to blender container or food processor. Cover; blend until smooth. Return sauce to saucepan; heat over low heat until hot.
The frittata by itself is nice but a little bland for my taste. Serving it with the red pepper sauce turned it into a much more interesting and attractive lunch on a hot sunny September day in Andalucia. NB. I used a jar of roasted red peppers for the sauce.