Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe won the Fresh Artichoke recipe contest in Castroville California and was created by Julia Perez Magana.
Top Review by Maito
This made for a great breakfast. I cooked the egg separately and thought the amount was perfect. I used low fat sausage, whole wheat tortillas, and skipped the cheese. ETA: I have increased my rating from 4 to 5 stars after making this a second time. I also added potato, avocado and green salsa to it the second time. Very yummy!!
- 226.79 g bulk Italian sausage, crumbled
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 473.18 ml trimmed cooked and diced artichoke hearts (not marinated)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 473.18 ml grated monterey jack cheese or 473.18 ml cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until done; drain grease.
- Add olive oil to sausage. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and artichokes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs and cook, stirring until eggs are done.
- Heat tortillas (on a griddle, if possible). Fill middle of each tortilla with artichoke mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold ends, then roll up tortilla.