Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This homemade bread along with French bread from our local supermarket (baked fresh daily) is a favourite everywhere it goes. I have opted to change the recipe and used a bread machine, this can be made with a mixer the traditional way, the bread machine just saves time and work for the mixing, rising process. This is an Emeril Lagasse classic !!
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Finely chop artichoke hearts.
- Add garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, pepper, olive oil& mix; set aside.
- Add artichoke mix, rest of salt and flour to bread machine and mix until it has gone through the rising process, do not bake in bread machine.
- Once dough is ready, remove from bread machine onto a floured cutting board or wherever you want to work with the dough.
- Split dough into four sections.
- Roll two balls into two narrow log shapes, at one end pinch together and braid.
- Complete the same step with other two logs.
- Tuck the pinched ends under the braided bread.
- Place the braids on baking sheet/s, with a brush, brush the beaten egg evenly over breads and bake in a 350 oven until lightly brown, about 30 mins.