Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a very simple, yet impressive side dish. It may be prepared 1 day ahead and and baked just before serving. Increase baking time to heat through, if refrigerated. Originally from an April 1978 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 1 lb fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup bechamel sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 6 artichoke bottoms, cooked
- 6 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spinach in boiling salted water about 1 minute, stirring several times.
- Drain well, pressing to remove all moisture.
- Chop finely, either by hand or in food processor.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in small skillet; add spinach,salt,pepper,and nutmeg and cook over medium low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Combine bechamel sauce with egg yolk and cream; carefully stir into spinach.
- Continue cooking until just simmering, stirring constantly. Do NOT boil.
- Arrange artichoke bottoms in baking dish and fill with spinach.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until nicely glazed.
- If desired may run under the broiler to brown lightly.