Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
A colleague would make these to bring to work more than 20 years ago; I loved them then and still do now. This is a great appetizer for a garlic and artichoke lover.
- Drain artichoke hearts saving juice for later.
- Mash hearts in a small bows using a fork or your fingers.
- Add 1 c of bread crumbs, 2Tbsp Parmesan cheese, and 2 Tbsp of the artichoke juice to the mashed hearts.
- Mix well.
- Add beaten eggs to mixture.
- Mixture should have the consistency of a stuffing.
- If mixture is too dry, add more artichoke juice to the desired consistency.
- Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add artichoke mixture to the skillet and cook with garlic for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After cooking, remove from skillet to another bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- While mixture is chilling, prepare 4 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 c of bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- After mixture is chilled and firm, remove from refrigerator and form into small balls.
- Roll balls in the cheese/bread crumb mixture.
- Refrigerate balls until ready to serve.
- (I personally like them at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before eating.).
This was very unusual. I had problems making the texture taste "done". Thank you for posting.
These were wonderful little appetizers -- I've never had anything quite like them before! The texture is unique and pleasing and the taste is great. The recipe was clear and easy to follow. I had a little baby spinach I needed to use so I sauted it and a little onion with the garlic, and I had to substitute part shredded cheddar cheese because I ran out of parmesan. They were delicious this way but I think the original recipe is probably better, with a more concentrated artichoke and garlic flavor, so I'll make them that way next time (though I may use a little finely minced onion again). Many thanks -- from one artichoke and garlic fan to another! :)