Recipe by Freda2 Brown
A colleague would make these to bring to work more than 20 years ago; I loved them then and still do now. This is a great appetizer for a garlic and artichoke lover.
- 1 can progresso artichoke heart
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain artichoke hearts saving juice for later.
- Mash hearts in a small bows using a fork or your fingers.
- Add 1 c of bread crumbs, 2Tbsp Parmesan cheese, and 2 Tbsp of the artichoke juice to the mashed hearts.
- Mix well.
- Add beaten eggs to mixture.
- Mixture should have the consistency of a stuffing.
- If mixture is too dry, add more artichoke juice to the desired consistency.
- Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add artichoke mixture to the skillet and cook with garlic for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After cooking, remove from skillet to another bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- While mixture is chilling, prepare 4 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 c of bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- After mixture is chilled and firm, remove from refrigerator and form into small balls.
- Roll balls in the cheese/bread crumb mixture.
- Refrigerate balls until ready to serve.
- (I personally like them at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before eating.).