I developed this recipe for a customer's luncheon at home, who needed something vegetarian for the guests. It is easy to assemble, as no-boil lasagna is used, but will resemble lasagna made with fresh pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large crookneck yellow squash, washed and chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped, whites and some green parts
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup marinated artichoke, drained and chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (low fat is okay)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, drained (2% is okay)
- 1 1/2 cups Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- bechamel sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 dash nutmeg
- no-boil lasagna sheet (Barilla or Skinner are good)
- parsley (to garnish)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350º.
- 2Sauté squash, onions, garlic in 2 tbs olive oil.
- 3Drain and chop the artichokes.
- 4Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- 5Reserve ½ cup of the Italian cheese blend.
- 6Combine ½ cup cheese, herbs, salt, and pepper and blend in the egg.
- 7Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil.
- 8Melt the 3 tbs butter in a saucepan with olive oil, and stir in flour to make a roux.
- 9Slowly add cream, stirring constantly, and add a dash of ground nutmeg.
- 10Pour ½ cup of the sauce on the bottom of pan, and lay sheets of dry lasagna on top of the sauce.
- 11Layer the sheets with 1/5 of the cheese mixture and 1/5 of the squash mixture.
- 12Repeat until you make five layers, topped by lasagna sheets, then press down slightly on the lasagna.
- 13Pour the rest of the béchamel sauce over the top, making certain it completely covers the top and runs down the sides.
- 14Cover the pan with a tent of aluminum foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes in the oven.
- 15Remove the lasagna and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of it, then let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 16Cut the lasagna it into serving pieces and place them on plates, garnishing them with the minced parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke and Yellow Squash Lasagna With Bechamel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.2
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.3 g
- Saturated Fat 34.6 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 1956.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crookneck yellow squash
Italian cheese blend