Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This side dish is absolutely FABULOUS!!! It is requested frequently in my house. It's easy and a crowd pleaser. It was originally in Sunset Magazine 11/98.
- 20 ounces frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 18 ounces artichokes (frozen)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed (coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns (coarsely chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- SPINACH FILLING:.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach and coarsely chop.
- Saute onion, water, and butter until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix 2 tbl flour with onion, then smoothly stir in 1 cup broth and 1/4 cup whipping cream or half and half (light cream).
- Season with nutmeg. Stir over high heat until boiling, about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach, mix well, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use hot or cold.
- Combine thyme, coriander, basil, peppercorns, artichoke hearts and enough water to cover and simmer until thawed, about 10 minutes.
- Place artichokes in a shallow 8 or 9" wide casserole.
- Cover with spinach filling and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350°F until cheese is lightly browned about 35 minutes.