Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from "Simply Classic," by the Seattle Junior League.
Make and share this Artichoke and Scallop Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups clam juice or 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned artichoke hearts (not the marinated kind) or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, tough outside leaves removed, diced (not the marinated kind)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper, to taste (tricolor is tasty, too)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Melt the butter and olive together in a large, heavy pot.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and simmer until the liquid has been evaporated.
- Add the clam juice or broth, heavy cream, diced artichokes, and the scallops, and simmer for 4 minutes (do not let boil!).
- Season with salt, white pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg to taste, then ladle the chowder into 6 serving bowls.
- Garnish with the minced chives and serve immediately.