Inspired by a 1960 classic; this side dish calls for Arborio rather than conventional rice, resulting in a chewy and creamy textire. Martha Stewart is using this dish in her mother's day luncheon menu. Didn't include cooling times.Have made a few subtle changes so that it can be vegetarian, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups homemade stock or 1 1/2 cups store-bought low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 small green olives, pitted and sliced
- 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, liquid reserved
- 1 celery, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1/2 ounce Baby Spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1Bring stock to a simmer.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add onion and garlic.
- 4Cook until onion is translucent. Add rice, salt, and curry powde; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 5Raise heat, and add half the stock.
- 6Stir 30 seconds.
- 7Stir in remaining stock.
- 8Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cover; cook 20 minutes.
- 9Spread rice onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- 10Let cool.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 12Combine olives, artichoke hearts, and celery in a large bowl.
- 13Add rice, and toss.
- 14Add 1 tablespoon reserved artichoke liquid, and toss. (Salad can be made up to this point and refrigerated overnight.If you choose less or more!)
- 15Before serving, stir in spinach.
- 16Serve cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke and Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.6
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 837.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: