Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Inspired by a 1960 classic; this side dish calls for Arborio rather than conventional rice, resulting in a chewy and creamy textire. Martha Stewart is using this dish in her mother's day luncheon menu. Didn't include cooling times.Have made a few subtle changes so that it can be vegetarian, as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade stock or 1 1⁄2 cups store-bought low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 small green olives, pitted and sliced
- 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, liquid reserved
- 1 celery, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1⁄2 ounce Baby Spinach (about 1 cup)
- Bring stock to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion is translucent. Add rice, salt, and curry powde; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Raise heat, and add half the stock.
- Stir 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cover; cook 20 minutes.
- Spread rice onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Let cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Combine olives, artichoke hearts, and celery in a large bowl.
- Add rice, and toss.
- Add 1 tablespoon reserved artichoke liquid, and toss. (Salad can be made up to this point and refrigerated overnight.If you choose less or more!)
- Before serving, stir in spinach.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.