Recipe by Mme M
These tasty tarts are flat , and show off lovely color. Use good quality olives that have plenty of flavor!
Top Review by MsPia
I love this appetizer. I thought, the sweetness of the jelly and saltiness of the olives, were the perfect balance. I did used puff pastry instead of pie crust by mistake, but it was a great mistake. Thank you Mme Melissa, another wonderful PAC choice.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces pitted black olives
- 3 1⁄2 ounces pitted green olives
- 1 organic lemon
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 6 ounces sugar, for jelly making
- 10 stalks chives
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 6 artichoke hearts
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before: drain the olives, then chop them and put them in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the juice from the lemon onto the olives, and add the white wine. Add the sugar, and cook this mixture until the juices begin to thicken.
- The same night, wash and chop the chive; blanch the lemon zest in boiling water for 1 minute only. Add the chive and the lemon zest to the olive mix at the end of its cooking period, when it starts to thicken. Put the mixture into a bowl, and let cool overnight.
- The following day, roll out the pastry (not puff pastry)and cut 6 rectangles from it, making uniform sizes. Put sulferized paper or a silicone sheet on a baking sheet, then place the tart rectangles on that. Cook these blind for 10 minutes at 350°F Remove them and let them cool.
- Cut the artichoke hearts in half, getting rid of anything too fibrous.
- Spread 1 - 2 tablespoons of the olive mix onto each tart, and place 1 - 2 artichoke halves onto the olive mix, making a nice looking arrangement.
- Bake at 325F for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.