Recipe by Grace Guderjahn
This is a great dish to serve with rice, orzo pasta or polenta. It makes a good impression on guest and is easy to fix. To be really fancy sprinkle each serving with toasted pine nuts.
- 3 -4 lbs lamb shanks, bone cracked (usually 4)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen artichokes or 1 (12 ounce) can artichokes, drained
- 1 cup drained sliced black olives
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 1/2 quart, or larger, electric crock pot, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, artichoke hearts,and olives.
- Rinse shanks and pat dry.
- Sprinkle all over with pepper.
- Place shanks in pot on top of vegetables.
- Add tomatoes with juice, add vinegar.
- Cover pot and cook until lamb is very tender.
- About 6-7 hours on low, less time on high.
- Remove shanks to a bowl and keep warm.
- Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid Turn crock pot to high.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons water and pour into crock pot.
- Stir often until sauce bubbles (about 10 minutes).
- Spoon sauce and vegetables over lamb.
- Garnish with parsley.