Recipe by SweetSBchef
I was looking for a recipe to replicate the strata that Six Beans in Marietta, GA used to make. "To make ahead, prepare through step 2, cover, and chill. Before baking, let bread mixture stand at room temperature 10 minutes while the oven preheats. Then assemble and bake. The cook time will increase by about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley." -http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/artichoke-goat-cheese-strata-50400000110460/
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbes de provence
- 1 3⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 ounces grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄2 loaf country-style white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled goat cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in artichoke hearts and garlic; cook for 8 minutes or until artichoke hearts begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in herbes de Provence. Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine milk, black pepper, salt, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and bread; toss gently to combine. Stir in artichoke mixture, and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spoon half of bread mixture into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of goat cheese, and top with remaining bread mixture. Sprinkle remaining half of goat cheese over top. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until browned and bubbly.