Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Food & Wine. They say to serve this with a full-flavored California Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 lb mild fresh goat cheese, softened (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices from a baguette
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprigs and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the artichokes and lemon zest and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
- Scrape the thyme leaves into the skillet; discard the sprigs and bay leaf.
- Transfer the artichoke mixture to a food processor.
- Add the goat cheese and lemon juice; pulse until pureed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and keep warm.
- Brush the bread slices with olive oil and broil for 1 minute, turning once, until golden and crisp. Serve the artichoke spread with the baguette slices.