Recipe by FloridaGrl
Caponata is usually made with eggplant and green peppers. My husband hates eggplant, and I can't eat peppers, so when I found this recipe, I was pretty happy. It's really good, and goes will spooned over toasted baguette slices.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, celery,fennel, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in raisins, and next 8 ingredients, (through artichokes). Bring to a simmer; cook over medium low heat 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Serving size: 1/4 cup.