Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a killer sandwich, great to make on football Sunday for the guys! Add in some Italian-style cold cuts if desired. Plan ahead, the basil/Parmesan mixture has to be prepared 8-24 hours in advance and chilled. Prep time does not include refrigeration time for the basil mixture.
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (can use vegetable oil)
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 -3 teaspoons dijon-style mustard (I use Hellman's Dijonaisse mustard for this)
- 1 -2 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 French bread (unsliced)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (can use more)
- 4 -5 ounces sliced provolone cheese (or to taste) or 4 -5 ounces mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 2 large firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn in pieces (I purchase the prewashed bags of spinach for this or you can use lettuce in place of spinach)
- italian salami (optional) or cold cuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the basil/parmesan mixture: (this mixture can be doubled if desired) in a blender or food processor bowl combine fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, capers, wine vinegar, mustard and garlic cloves; process until almost smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours (overnight is better!).
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out each half (leaving a 1/2-inch shell).
- Spread the prepared basil mixture over each bread half, then layer artichoke hearts (at this point you can add in cold cuts if desired) then provolone cheese, tomato then top with spinach.
- Cover with the bread top.
- Cut the sandwich crosswise into about 6-8 pieces.