Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
saw and thought it might be nice
- 110 g dairy-free margarine
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy flour
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- 170 g unbleached plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup soymilk
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in soy flour, oil and water, mixing well between each addition. Beat in egg whites and vanilla essence.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into separate bowl. Add gradually to cake mixture with soy milk, beating thoroughly between each addition.
- The mixture should be light and drop easily from a wooden spoon. If too stiff, beat in more soy milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spoon mixture evenly into two greased and lined 18cm sponge cake tins, and cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for 20-25 minutes until golden on top and a sharp knife comes out clean from the centre of the cake.
- Remove cakes from oven and leave to cool in tins for five minutes until cake starts to shrink from sides of tin, then turn onto wire rack.
- When cool, decorate as required.