Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an authentic Mexican rice dish from Jim Peyton, and despite it's somewhat odd sounding ingredients, it is fantastic!!! Great with any meat dish. I sometimes make this for myself for dinner, with nothing but the rice and a glass of white wine to enjoy with it. Leftovers heat up well, too.
- 1⁄2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro stem (about 1/2 oz.)
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1 1/2 oz.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock (low salt, please)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Put the cilantro, spinach and chicken stock in a blender and blend until finely pureed.
- Add the milk and salt and blend just until everything is blended.
- Set aside.
- In a 3 qt saucepan with a good lid, heat the olive oil and butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the rice and saute until it just begins to brown (3 minutes).
- Add the onion and garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add the contents of the blender, stir well, bring the mixture to a boil, then put the lid on and turn the heat to low.
- Allow to cook at least 20 minutes.
- Stir the rice very carefully with a fork, then cover and let it cook another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice steam, covered, for about 10 minutes before serving.
This is the best rice dish I have ever put in my mouth. It is different from anything I have ever eaten. The flavors are wonderful. I will now be serving this for guests (as well as family) from now on because it is so impressive. Thank you.
This really is a wonderfully imaginative way of fixing white rice. The flavor was incredible and went equally well with both chicken and steak, though I can definitely see how it would be satisfying alone with a glass of wine! Thanks, PetitFour. I will make this one again and again!
This rice is absolutely delicious! A few months ago we had some extra cilantro and spinach in the house, so I came onto RZ to find something to use them for. I am so happy I came across and decided to try this recipe because it is now one of our family favorites. We've made it several times and it always comes out perfectly. I'd never made a rice dish with milk in it before, but don't let that turn you away! This one is definitely a keeper!