"Visually intriguing, tasty and a bit different from the usual Mexican red rice. It is guaranteed to jazz up even the simplest grilled meal. Avocado slices are a nice garnish for this dish." Source: http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgarrozverde.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small poblano chiles, roasted, seeded and peeled
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 -3 sprigs epazote
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup peas (optional)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced, for garnish
- 1Soak the rice in hot water to cover for fifteen minutes, then rinse in a strainer under running water until the water runs clear; Drain and let dry.
- 2Heat the oil and saute the rice, stirring to prevent sticking or burning, until golden.
- 3Puree the chilies, onion, garlic and herbs in a blender with 1/2 cup of the broth.
- 4Add the puree, and when it has been absorbed add the remaining two cups of broth.
- 5Cover and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed; remove from heat, and add the peas if using them.
- 6Stir to fluff, taste for salt, garnish with avocado slices, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Verde
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 342.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: