Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this from my mom. I haven't tried it yet, but since she says it's good, I'm sure I'd like it! She said it's good without the onion, too, and that she prefers it with the smaller amount of chili powder.
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (use up to 2 Tbsp, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Heat the lard in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and stir until rice is toasted.
- Add the garlic and onion (if using); cook and stir until the onion just begins to brown.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, chili powder, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, covered, before serving.