Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe from the Two Hot Tamales, modified a little, by leaving out a sprig of finely chopped epazote, an ingredient that would be hard for most to find. I like to serve this Christmas Eve with Pork Tamales and a very thick Chile Verde. Let me also add, top it with an over easy egg for breakfast, YUM! This can be spicey depending on the chilies. And in the case you want to lighten the fats, oil may be substituted for the lard.
- 2 cups rice
- 4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup lard
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups corn kernels, thawed from frozen
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Rinse the rice, drain it, spread it on a baking sheet, and let it dry.
- In a blender, place 2 of the chilies with 1/2 cup of the chicken stock,and blend until smooth. Slice the remaining 2 chilies into strips and set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the lard or oil your choice, over medium heat.Cook the onion and garlic 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook until it turns a light golden brown. Add the blended chilies, corn kernels, chicken stock and chile strips, stirring constantly. Season with the salt. Cover, and let simmer over a low heat for about 30 minutes Stir the cream into the rice and let stand for a few minutes. Serve.