Vegetarian version of the Spanish classic, but made with chickpeas instead of chicken.
Make and share this Arroz Non Pollo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron threads or 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, greshly ground if possible, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive, drained
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, and saffron or turmeric and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a lightly oiled 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, bell pepper, green beans, and chickpeas; season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the salsa, peas, olives, and cooked rice and cover.