Recipe by RuthlessWr
Vegetarian version of the Spanish classic, but made with chickpeas instead of chicken.
Top Review by EmilyStrikesAgain
Not bad! Very simple to make. Not sure why it needs to be made in a crock pot for 6 hours- the flavors aren't very complicated. This was a good Sunday night dinner for me.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron threads or 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, greshly ground if possible, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, and saffron or turmeric and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a lightly oiled 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, bell pepper, green beans, and chickpeas; season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the salsa, peas, olives, and cooked rice and cover.