Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this recipe myself, specifically for the contest. I tried it out at home, and it was delicious! The spices were good, and it was very filling. The rest of my family loved it, too!
- 3 tomatoes, dice
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 chicken thighs, deboned
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 20 basil leaves (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 12 ounces black beans, canned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 ounces canned mild green chili peppers
- 1 large tilapia fillet
- In a large frying pan, fry onion until transparent.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and chicken thighs.
- Cover, then cook on medium high for 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic powder, basil leaves, and paprika.
- Add bell pepper, beans, lemon juice, and green chili peppers, then simmer on medium-low for forty minutes.
- Chop tilapia into bite-sized pieces, and then add tilapia to pot.
- Cook for ten minutes, then spoon over rice.
- Serve warm.
This recipe makes a mild chicken stew that was excellent served over rice. I served jalapenos, green onions, avacado slices, sour cream & black olives alongside to top it with. I was confused by the amount of black beans listed in the ingredient list & didn’t know if they were dried or canned. I prepared a separate pot of black beans and added 1 cup to the stew. I also seared the chicken thighs before proceeding with the recipe. I deboned the thighs at the end and then added the shredded chicken back into the pot. As mentioned, the stew is very mild and I would probably add a little cumin to it when preparing again to add a little more Mexican flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Great job!
The directions were ingredients and difficult to follow. So I guessed! I fried the diced onions till translucent removed then browned the chicken (seasoned before browning with garlic salt and pepper),added the remaining ingredients including the onions except for the rice, water and fish. Placing the pot covered in the oven for 35 minutes adding the fish for 10 more minutes. Used 1 teaspoon dried basil in place of fresh. 1/2 ounce black beans I didn`t think was right so I used 1 12 ounce can of black beans. 1/2 lemon was also confusing chop the whole skin, pulp, or just juice? I used just the juice. The rice I made in my rice cooker. This I would have e-mailed the chef to give the recipe a chance but being a contest it was not possible. I would have given it 4 stars according to the way I made it. But with the incomplete ingredients Sorry it `s getting 3 stars.