Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a fabulous Cuban Chicken and Rice Dish! This recipe originally asked for a full frying chicken but I've changed it to include just two chicken breasts so my small family can eat it and still have leftovers for lunch.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups rice
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 1⁄4 chopped bell pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 14 -16 chopped spanish stuffed green olives
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- garlic salt
- Broth: With 4 1/2 cups water, add chicken breasts, chicken bouillon, 4 ounces tomato sauce, 1/2 of the chopped onion, 1/2 of the chopped bell pepper, 1 tablespoon olive juice and 3-4 shakes of each seasoning. Cook until chicken is done. About 20 minutes. Remove chicken, cut it into pieces and place in the following skillet.
- Meat: While broth is cooking, place in large skillet 1 tablespoon oil, the rest of the onion and bell pepper. Saute until tender. Add rest of tomato sauce, chopped olives, 1/2 tablespoon juice from the olives, 1-2 shakes of each seasoning (except turmeric) and chicken. Cook on low covered while the rice cooks.
- Rice: Strain broth and discard onion and bell pepper. Cook 2 cups rice in 4 cups broth by bringing broth to a boil and then adding rice, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Final Preparation: When done, place 1/2 rice on a serving platter or in a 8x8 square pan, pressing the rice together. Spread all chicken on top and top with remaining rice. Press so rice and chicken is compacted. Spread a light layer of mayonnaise on top. (I know the mayonnaise sounds strange, but try it once. Some love it and want more on top, others don't care for it as much but still want a little on top.).