Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Guatamala. This recipe came from mayantraditions.com. It is posted for ZWT4.
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, celery, sweet red peppers and peas)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Saute rice in oil until rice has absorbed the oil but has not changed color.
- Add vegetables, salt and pepper, and 4 C of broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been absorbed about 20 minutes.
Loved the simplicity of this dish...and the fact that it would go well with any meat or vegetable side. I did make a couple of changes to the recipe- first off, I left out the peas since I only like peas raw, and second I added a large can of chicken during step 2 to make the dish a one pot meal! Thanks for posting this tasty recipe. Made as my "A" choice for the December 09 Lets P-A-R-T-Y game
I liked this a lot, easy and full of flavor. Have not added salt as the broth made it salty enough. I used a bag of frozen soup vegetables, so there wasn't any pepper in it, but we don't really like pepper anyway. Made for ZWT4, for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.