Recipe by aronsinvest
This was submitted by a reader of our local paper and this is the way her mother made it.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 cup canned coconut cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Let rice and raisins soak in water to cover for approximately 30 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in large saucepan.
- Drain rice and raisins and add to the boiling water with Cinnamon sticks and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cook over low heat until rice is tender.
- Boil ginger root in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes, strain and blend liquid with remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, coconut cream, milk and vanilla continue cooking over low heat.
- Add this mixture with butter to rice.
- Cover and continue cooking over low heat until milk is absorbed, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a serving dish or custard cups and sprinkle with cinnamon.