Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was always a family staple and while searching the Portuguese recipes, I noticed it wasn't there and I just have to add it.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups hot milk (whole works best)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 fresh lemon rind (use a vegetable peeler for big pieces for easier removal)
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan.
- Add rice and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
- Add milk, sugar and lemon rind, stirring constantly until thickened to oatmeal consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
- It will also thicken some while cooling.
- Pour into one large serving plate and remove lemon rind.
- Spread flat and allow to cool on wire rack.
- You can be decorative with cinnamon by pinching a bit between your fingers and place while your hand is no more than an inch away from the rice (criss cross patterns are traditional), or you can just dust the entire top with the cinnamon.
- Serve at room temp, but refrigerate uneaten portion.
Traditionally, you're supposed to put the water and milk together to boil in the pot, along with a cinnamon stick and lemon rind. It makes a cinnamon-flavoured milk. Arborio rice (Italian rice) produces the best result since it needs to be "sticky". A staple dessert in Portuguese culture, and I love it!
Thank you so much Jennie for this great recipe. My DH is Portuguese and I have been trying to duplicate the Arroz Doce recipe for YEARS. My DH family cooks by "eyeballing it" therefor making it hard to duplicate perfectly. I did add vanilla and a bit more milk as I didn't use whole milk but 1% instead. My DH couldn't wait to eat it chilled as I am told how it should be eaten but he ate it warm and steamy. Our little one has fallen in love with another time honored portuguese dish not to mention we had fun together creating cinnamon designs on top. Obrigada!
Tried this and it turned out way too sweet. This is not arroz doce but the English variant of rice pudding - the only difference is that you add powdered cinnamon. The Portuguese variant of rice pudding has less sugar, 4 egg yolks, butter and a cinnamon stick is added with the lemon rind. This recipe should be relabelled.