1/2 Photos of Arroz Doce (Portuguese Sweet Rice)
This was always a family staple and while searching the Portuguese recipes, I noticed it wasn't there and I just have to add it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups hot milk (whole works best)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 fresh lemon rind (use a vegetable peeler for big pieces for easier removal)
- 1Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan.
- 2Add rice and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
- 3Add milk, sugar and lemon rind, stirring constantly until thickened to oatmeal consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
- 4It will also thicken some while cooling.
- 5Pour into one large serving plate and remove lemon rind.
- 6Spread flat and allow to cool on wire rack.
- 7You can be decorative with cinnamon by pinching a bit between your fingers and place while your hand is no more than an inch away from the rice (criss cross patterns are traditional), or you can just dust the entire top with the cinnamon.
- 8Serve at room temp, but refrigerate uneaten portion.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Doce (Portuguese Sweet Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 65.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 49.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lemon rind