Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is being posted for ZWT 2006, African region. It is a Mozambique rice recipe that I think would go quite nicely with a spicy chicken dish or a curry dish.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, deribbed & finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (or sub 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh hot chili peppers
- In a heavy bottomed large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat; drop the onions and green pepper in it and cook, stirring frequently, for about five minutes or until they are soft but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir for two to three minutes more, until the rice is evenly coated; then stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover the pan tightly, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender but not mushy.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the chilis and taste for seasoning adding salt if needed; cover again and let rest for 10 minutes before serving; fluff before serving.