Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a traditional Portuguese chicken and rice dish. Found on-line and posted for Zaar World Tour 5.
- 1 lb long -grain rice
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 roasted red peppers, from a jar, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Heat half of the oil in deep skillet and add the chicken, brown on both sides, about 8 minutes per side.
- Add salt, pepper, the cloves and the bay leaves. Add the wine, cover and to cook over low heat until chicken is tender, about 35 minutes. (If the chicken begins to dry, add just a little bit of water).
- Heat the remaining oil in separate oven-proof saucepan, fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes on low heat. Add one of the peppers and the tomatoes, and to continue frying 10 minutes more. Incorporate the chicken and the broth, (calculating double volume to that of the rice) and when it begins to boil, to add the rice.
- Cook ton high heat, uncovered, unti rice is about half-way cooked, about 10 minutes approximately. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken, loosely covered, so that it finishes cooking approximately for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining peppers and serve hot.