Recipe by Prose
Here's a veganized version of my Mom's delicious Arroz con Pollo (Mexican Chicken and Rice). I was really craving it.
Top Review by magpie diner
I quite enjoyed this, made as written only I used a medium firm tofu. I liked the thyme/nutmeg combo, although I did cut the nutmeg back quite a bit. It's not a heavily seasoned dish, which I quite liked. The broth I used was quite strong so I didn't have need for extra salt. The only part that didn't really work for me was the sauce, the cornstarch made it pretty gloopy, and I didn't want to whittle the flavour down too far by adding more liquid. Next time I'd cut that back and have a much thinner sauce to pour on top and sink in better with the rice. I really liked the platter style presentation, it would be a great addition to a big family meal.
- 2 lbs sliced tofu
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown tofu in skillet in hot oil on medium heat.
- Remove tofu to warm platter and add onion and spices. Sautee until golden.
- Return tofu to skillet and add broth. Simmer about 20 minutes. Remove tofu to platter with warm rice.
- Add to skillet 3 tablespoons corn starch and whisk. Boil and stir adding corn starch as needed until thick gravy is formed. Spoon over tofu and rice.