1/2 Photos of Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
1 hr 10 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
My friend Jolene gave me this one. I think she got it from "Diet for a Small Planet". It's one of those "keep all of the ingredients on hand for emergencies" recipes. When you burn something, quietly get of it and make this. No one will know. Prep. time doesn't include cooking the rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or Brown Basmatti works great)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas (I've used other types of beans succsessfully)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can ortega chilies, diced
- 1/2 lb ricotta cheese, thinned with milk 'til spreadable
- 3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Mix Cheddar and Jack together.
- 3Mix Rice, Beans, Garlic, Onion, and Chilies together.
- 4In a large casserole dish spread 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- 5Top that with 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
- 6top that with 1/2 of the Ricotta.
- 7Then the next 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- 8Followed by the last half of the cheese.
- 9Followed by the last half of the Ricotta.
- 10Then the last 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- 11Bake 40 min.
- 12Remove from the oven, top with Black Olives.
- 13Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- 14Bake 10 min. more.
- 15Remove from oven and let rest 20 min.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.6
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 102.6 mg
- Sodium 1002.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 34.2 g