Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Good kid-friendly vegetarian side-dish. I found the recipe on-line.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- Combine all the ingredients, except half the cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased crock-pot.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
This recipe has all the ingredients that I love, however I found after 5 hours on low, the rice was a glutenous mass and it was dry. Maybe adding all the cheese at the last minute would help and less cooking time.
I also found the recipe to be a little dry and done very quickly. I am using a 6qt slow cooker so maybe that's why. It is very tasty though!
I added some chicken to it to complete the meal. It was done by 4 hours max. Added the 1 cup diced chicken in the last 45 minutes. We thought it was a bit dry. Will try next time with some more salsa or a can of Rotel to heighten the moisture.