Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I combined a recipe a had from the monthly co-op newsletter and Recipe No. 77683. Preparation does not include time to cook rice. You can cheat and buy the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup red chile, diced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet; add onion and chilies. Cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and chili powder and cook 2 minutes more.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans and onion mixture. Spray a 2-quart casserole with non-stick spray.
- Spread 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture. Top that with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese. Top that with 1/2 of the Monterey jack cheese. Repeat, ending with the rice/bean mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; cover casserole with the salsa. Sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
We all loved it, especially my husband. No one could even tell I was sneaking brown rice into the meal!