Recipe by StephBo413
From the back of a Rosarita Refried Beans can. Kids were amazingly excited about it. I went mild on the Ro-Tel.
Top Review by Likkel
We loved this recipe! It had great flavor and was well received by all of the family. I only had one can of Ro-tel's so I used it and one can of diced tomatoes and it worked out well. Thanks CropperSteph for posting it! *I've just posted a lighten version of this recipe that substituted chicken breasts and some non-fat ingredients for those who are watching their calories.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) package chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 (10 ounce) cansro-tel original diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) canrosarita traditional refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (2oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray.
- Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet.
- Brown on med-hi heat about 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Pour rice into skillet.
- Brown rice in chicken fat over med. heat about 2 min., stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth; blend well.
- Place chicken on top of rice. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; ocver and simmer 20 minute or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Drop beans by tablespoon into rice; sprinkle with cheese.
- Heat an additional 5 minutes, or until beans are hot and cheese is melted.
- Serve with chicken.